What is yoga therapy?
Yoga therapy is where “East meets West”: we combine the ancient Eastern practices of yoga with modern Western scientific knowledge. Yoga therapy is a new form of therapy, in which yogic exercises (poses, breathwork, meditation and relaxation) are applied to relieve physical and mental health symptoms. Yoga therapy is a strong yet slow medicine, best applied to chronic conditions.
The therapy starts with a comprehensive intake interview, followed by a physical and breath assessment. This provides a broad-spectrum view of the health of the individual and what may be out of balance. Lifestyle is also discussed. Such a holistic approach allows us to work in an effective and safe manner.
Yoga therapy can help in the following cases:
- Chronic pain of the back, neck or shoulder, generalized pain such as fibromyalgia.
- Mental difficulties, e.g. burnout, anxiety, depression, or panic attacks.
- Chronic functional disorders such as high blood pressure, infertility, or long COVID.
- Degenerative nervous system disorders such as Parkinson’s and MS.
- Dysfunctional breathing patterns, such as reverse breathing, asthma, hyperventilation, COPD.
- Immune-system related disorders, such as autoimmune diseases and cancer.